Advocacy In Action is a series of agriculture advocacy stories, headlines, and resources catching my eye each week. Want to receive these updates in your inbox? Click here to stay in the loop or support my agriculture advocacy efforts via Venmo.
Have stories, webinars, events, or resources that should be highlighted here? Tag @BeefRunner on social media.
Recent trends in forest and agricultural land conversion (Montana State University) – As land use has taken a front seat in sustainability conversations, University researchers take a closer look at trends in agricultural land development for residential purposes and the factors involved.
Additional Sustainability-Related Headlines:
- These TikTokers Are Turning Trash Into Food Treasures (Modern Farmer)
- Air quality specialist: It’s important to understand livestock’s role in climate (Yahoo)
- Fighting Food Waste, One Swipe at a Time (Modern Farmer)
- Grazing public lands — a win-win for farmers, hunters (Farm Progress)
- Elanco Adds New Tools to Advance U.S. Livestock Sustainability Efforts (Yahoo)
- Positive data seen for methan emissions targeted seaweed product in beef cattle study (Feed Navigator)
Let’s not kid ourselves – 2 narratives that need to go (Prime Future) – Janette Barnard says what we’re thinking and will likely step on some toes with this one. What are your thoughts on the narratives: thank a farmer and the need to educate consumers?
Reply to this tweet with your thoughts.
Making Better Business People Out of Ranchers is Key to Beef Industry Success (Oklahoma Farm Report) – CattleFax’s Randy Blach shares 3 aspects producers should pay attention to for the future of the industry, including utilization of risk-management tools.
Canadian Trucker Blockade Highlights Problems With Just-in-Time Systems (DTN Progressive Farmer) – Don Close (Rabobank) highlights the potentially disastrous impacts and supply chain disruptions for livestock as a result of events like the ongoing trucker blockade.
Wings are king among Super Bowl snacks, shop early (Farm Progress) – A slew of stories highlighting effects of Super Bowl weekend is sure to include food supply chain impacts. Experts expect 1.42 billion chicken wings and drumsticks to be consumed this weekend and will be more costly at $0.81 higher than 2020.
Additional Agriculture Headlines:
- Special-education students cultivate farm skills (Farm Progress)
- Menus With Social Nudges, Tantalizing Words Can Spur Meatless Dining (Bloomberg)
- USDA to invest $1B in establishing climate smart commodities (USDA)
AgWordle: Are you a Wordle fan? I’m creating an ag-themed wordle each day. You can find today’s AgWordle here.
Ranching in San Diego County (Ag State of Mind) – In this Ranching Side Hustle episode, Jason Medows talks with Alli Fender about the evolution of her brand and business near urban areas.
Related Running Thoughts
What Running Can Teach Us About Sustainability (Trail Runner) – Sustainability is a highly-debated term in Agriculture that’s difficult to define. It’s good to know other communities are also working to better define the term.