Can you guess what I’m talking about? If you are familiar with morse code, then you will be able to figure it out.
Working by myself on the ranch leads to a lot of random thinking time, hence the title of my other blog “Ranch Ruminations”. Last week while I was feeding cows I got to wondering how to call the cows in morse code with the horn…
Before you think I’m really, really crazy… Everyone has their own way of calling the cows.
- My dad has always been a fan of calling ’em with “Jingle Bells” on the horn. Especially in the middle of the July heat.
- We hollar at our cows with a “Woooo (similar to a Razorback Hog Call), Come on Girls” (or “Come on Boys” respective for the bulls)
- Amy Kirk (Twitter) says “We use a long and two short honks; my husband’s family’s old partyline!”
- Jillian (Twitter) calls her cows with a “honk randomly & holler “Coy!” Why coy? No clue…”
- Jeff Fowle (Twitter) just uses the “canine interpreter” when the horn doesn’t work.
By the way, I was trying to figure out how to say “moo” in morse code. 2 Long and 6 short dashes. The cows come to the call, but of course, they come runnin at the sight of a feed wagon any time of day.